If you’ve noticed that in these winter days, to go out a bit helpless, there is any redness or welts on your skin, pay attention! You could be in front of a ‘cold urticaria’ or, we do not understand, allergy to cold.
This occurs in contact with any cold substance: water, food, drink, atmosphere or surface. The reaction occurs at the time but, after 10 or 30 minutes, when the body begins to overheat, that’s when symptoms appear.
Speaking of symptoms, would you know what?
- Begins to sting and to redden the skin. They can appear hives.
- The swelling of the hands if you touch a cold surface.
- The swollen lips if you have consumed food or drink ice cream.
- In the worst cases, swollen tongue and throat.
- You may experience fever and malaise.
To detect this allergy in hospitals are the ‘ice-cube test’ which is to apply cold in the patient’s forearm and wait for the reaction. In case you want to compare reports are usually immersed in water arm at low temperatures. Do not worry that in the conduct of the tests do not pinch, you can relax!
This type of allergy has no definitive cure, although in some cases, it may disappear after a while. The remedies used are anti-staminate or induction treatments for cold tolerance gradually get used to the body.
No permanent cure but we can prevent symptoms. Some of the recommendations that follow are:
- Avoid exposure to cold surroundings and, in the case of having to do, protect and shelter.
- No food or drinks cold, forget the ice!
- No sports involving exposure to low temperatures so you will have to change the riding skiing …
Although the world seems to suffer from an allergy of this type, with a little care and responsibility on the part of yourself you can live a full life, everything is used!